Desert Cottontail

Desert cottontails are 36-42 cm long (14-17 inches). They weigh approximately 1.5-2.6 pounds. Their tails is 30 to 60 mm (1.2 to 2.4 inches). Their ears are 6 to 9 cm (2.4 to 3.5 inches). They have large feet, about 7 to 9 cm (2.8 to 3.5 in) long. Females are usually bigger than males. An adult dessert cottontail is often tan to grey colors with a bit of yellow. They often have a orange neck. They have tails that look like cotton balls and are darker higher up and white further down.

Desert cottontails can have babies year round depending on where they are. Some only have eight months of the year. The average litter is 2-6 babies. A female desert cottontail can have 20-30 babies in 4 or 5 litters. Desert cottontail babies are weaned in 2 weeks.

Desert cottontails predators are golden and bald eagles, great horned owls, hawks, badgers, coyotes, foxes, bobcats and humans. Rattlesnakes may eat their babies.

Information from, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desert_cottontail and

https://www.desertusa.com/animals/desert-cottontail.html

7 Comments

1. In your first paragraph you wrote there tails is 30-60 centimeters. You don’t have to approve this, its just to tell you

2. These bunny posts are great! How long does it usually take to research about each type of bunny? Seems like a lot of work, but I love learn more about bunnies!

• Thank you. I usually take at tops 30 minutes to research each type of rabbit except riverine rabbit which doesn’t have very many sources so it took me a few hours.

3. Not enough personality your just listing facts. saying stuff like … bunny has … body length, … weight, … babies a year, …, …, and … are the … bunnies predators. is just so boring

• Thanks for letting me know. I’m just trying to give facts i’m not really trying to add personality. But if you really need me to I can try.

4. i feel like i know more about bunnies now